Mersey Reporter - Published by PBT Media Relations Ltd. & PCBT Photography

  Click on here to go to the Mersey Reporter Home Page

News FeedLive Alerts Skype Email

 

Read our Tracking & Cookie Usage Policy

News Events Web Radio Web TV Email news updates Fun & Games Regional History Shop Business Index

Advert Client Admin
Website Terms & Conditions
Click here to get seen in our 'Business Index' and also to get on our banner system oppersite and pay online today via 'Pay Pal'...! Advertisement Options

Click on the date below to go to other lime line sections

History Section Home Page

   
1503 to 1749 1830 to 1869 1900 to 1929 1960 to 2003
-8050 to 1490   1750 to 1829   1870 to 1899   1930 to 1959  

 

THIS page lists events and other information related to the time line from 1503AD to 1749AD. Some areas contain extra pages you can read with additional reference material on them. To access these pages, please see the extra information column of the table below.

Timeline

Events / Historic Developments Area More material page or extra link
1901 The Street Railway becomes electrified when it was taken over by the Liverpool Corporation and became the 1st railway system to employ an automatic signalling system and using the all electric signals with coloured lights.    
1901 Decision made to build a Cathedral for the recently formed Diocese of Liverpool. This would become Liverpool Anglican Cathedral  
1901 Queen Victoria Dies.    
1902 Edwardians finish the square in Croxteth Hall, this is the Croxteth Hall.     
1902 Tram Network in Liverpool was electrified.  
1902 Garston votes to join Liverpool.    
1902 The Formby Land and Building Company folded due to lack of development in Formby, everyone was going to Southport and by-passing Formby.      
1902 The replacement for the Pier Pavilion is opened in this year in Southport.      
1903 Water chute built for sea-bathers in Southport, mainly attended by fishermen. The subway was also filled in at this time.    
1904 Anglican Cathedral started and will take over 70 years to complete.       
1904 Fort Crosby opened. It had 6" navel guns to protect the approaches to the Mersey, but were never fired.    
1904 The newspaper Liverpool Mercury shuts down.    
1904 Foundation stone of Liverpool Cathedral laid by King Edward VIII

 

1904 The Southport Liverpool line was electrified in this year.       
1904 Southport's Framptons statue to commemorate Queen Victoria unveiled on the 15 July, by Mayor Councillor Brown.     
1904 The newspaper Southport Journal founded.   Pleasure Gardens in Southport, now Pleasureland. Photo was taken in 1905.
1904 Mr Weld-Blundell starts his oyster project on the Southport beach.  
1905 Fazakerley joins Liverpool.   
1905 The Runcorn/Widnes Transporter was opened on 29 May to replace a ferry crossing.  
1905 Southport becomes a County Borough. Birkdale and Ainsdale join together.    
1907 The Mersey Harbour and Docks Company Building completed, the design was by Arnold Thornley.    
1907 The new Sewer works opens in Crossens. Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club opens.    
1908 Construction started on W Aubrey Thomas building the Royal Liver Building.    
1908 The Liverpool Banking and Insurance Golf Club leases land between Freshfield and Ainsdale, inland of the railway, this later becomes Freshfield Golf Course.    
1909 Old age pensions introduced in Britain.    
1910 Pioneer aviator Claude Grahame-White arrived unexpectedly at Southport.    
1911 An airfield is built near Blowick which host various Aviation exhibitions during the months of June, July and August.          
1911 The aerial ride that transported people across the Marine lake in Southport was demolished in this year, due to residents saying it was an eyesore.    
1911 The Blundell Club establish a golf course on cultivated land just South of Ainsdale.    
1911 The Royal Liver Building Finished.     
1911 National Insurance introduced in the UK.    
1912 Southport absorbs Birkdale and Ainsdale into it's borough.     
1912 Hillside Golf Club Opens.    
1912 The Society for the Promotion of Nature reserves is formed and includes both Ainsdale and Freshfield dunes in their list of worthy sites for protection.    
1913 Wallasey Borough Police formed on the 1 April.    
1913 The newspapers Formby Newspaper / West Lancs Coast Chronicle are shut down.       
1913 The 1st Police Dogs, 2 Airedale Terriers were introduced to the Southport Police Force.    
1913 In a speech, Mayor Harold Broderick said that Southport was unique in England as the only town in the country to have more chapels and churches than public houses.      
1913 Allerton, Childwall, Little Woolton and much Woolton all join Liverpool as well.    
1914  Open-air baths opened in this year.     
1914 The King's Gardens is opened by King George the V, the gardens replaced the old fairgrounds on the south side of the South Lake.    
1914 First World War starts on 4 July when Britain declares war on Germany.

 

1914 The famous appeal for 100,000 volunteers is made by Lord Kitchener on 27 July.  
1914 In Liverpool responding to Lord Kitchener call for volunteers, Lord Derby has the idea to form a "Battalions of Pals". The idea is then put forward to the Liverpool Press in a meeting on 28 July.  The meeting is packed out and he addresses those attending with the now world famous speech:- "This should be a battalion of Pals, a battalion in which friends from the same office will fight shoulder to shoulder for the honour of Britain and the credit of Liverpool.  I don't ask you to uphold Liverpool's honour it would be an insult to think that you could do anything but that, but I do thank you from the bottom of my heart for coming here tonight and showing what is the spirit of Liverpool, a spirit that should spread through every City and Town in the Kingdom."  By 10.00 am 1,050 men have been recruited at St George's Hall, in Liverpool City Center.  So many had turned up that Lord Derby has to tell the thousands more who had been waiting to return on 2 August.  On he steps and within St George's Hall over 1,000 more men then signed up on 2 August, to form the 18th Battalion, later to become known as the Liverpool Pals.     
1914 By 14 August so many men had signed up, Lord Derby has to call a temporary halt to the recruiting campaign. Now with over 3,000 men enlisted, another battalion is formed, known as the 19th. 
1914 As the 'Pals' battalion where regiments of the Kings Liverpool, it was expected that the men would wear the Kings badge the White Horse of Hanover, but  in recognition of Lord Derby's role in their formation, King George V approves the Eagle and Child cap badge for the Pals Battalions. So in August of this year, the new badge is produced, The Eagle and Child, being the Derby family crest and the family motto.  But unlike many badges it also included the Latin words 'Sans Changer', which translates simply as without change.
1914 So successful was Lord Derby, a further 2 reserve battalions the 21st and 22nd where formed by November, 1914!
1915 The Pals become the 89th Brigade, but better known as 'The Pals Battalions'.  The new battalion then leaves Liverpool, mostly via Lime Street Station, for training at Grantham, on 30 April.
1915 The entire 'Liverpool Pals' Battalions, now the 89th Brigade complete the final training on Salisbury Plain and embark for France over 6 November and 7 November.
1915 The newspaper Liverpool Weekly Mercury shuts down.  
1915 The 1st death of a 'Liverpool Pal' to be killed in action was Reginald Rezin on 20 December.    
1916 The war is a blood bath, with the heaviest losses ever suffered by the British Army happening at:- 'The Battle of the Somme'. On 1 July, 19,240 men are killed and over 40,000 more are wounded.  Over the battle the village of Montauban from the Germans by The Liverpool Pals, making it one of the few successes of the day. Sadly over 200 men from the The Pals battalions are killed.    
1916 On 30 July, in what was to become known as:- "Liverpool's blackest day", nearly 500 men are killed in a failed attack on the village of Guillemont.
1916 On 12 October the Liverpool Pals are at start of:- 'The Battle of the Transloy Ridges'. By the end, 22 October, it has claimed the lives of a further 226 Pals.
 
1916 On 9 April the Liverpool Pals are heavily involved in the:- 'Battle of Arras', and the tragic loss of even more men.
1916 The 'Battle of the Somme' took place over 1 July to 13 November, to this day it remaining remains one of the most controversial battles of the First World War. It was intended to be a decisive breakthrough, but it quickly became a byword for futile and indiscriminate slaughter. General Haig's tactics are still questioned even today.  
1916 By 2 September, the Liverpool Pals Battalions have now move from France entering Belgium.  They end up in the Ypres Salient, a location which was the scene of some of the biggest battles in World War I.    
1917 The Police Dog experiment appears to fail, so the force sells of the 2 dogs.  
1917 After a Senate vote of 82 to 6, the U.S. to declare war against Germany. The vote was also backed by the U.S. House of Representatives endorses the decision by a vote of 373 to 50, so on 6 April the United States formally enters the First World War.  
1917 The 'Battle of Passchendaele' begins on 31 July. Passchendaele became infamous not only for the scale of casualties, but also for the mud. The battle was to claim the lives of 325,000 Allied and 260,000 German casualties! with in those deaths, 11 officers and 223 other ranks from Liverpool are killed. The Battle ended on 6 November.    
1917 On 25 September 'The Lancashire Hussars' had been formally drafted into the 18th Battalion, to form the 18th (Lancashire Hussars) Battalion The Kings (Liverpool Regiment).  The Hussars at that stage had 16 officers and 290 men.
1917 By 31 December, the 18th (Lancashire Hussars) Battalion The Kings (Liverpool Regiment) had lost 22 officers and 518 other ranks killed in just 7 months of being located in the Ypres Salient.
1918 Over 7 April to 29 April 1918, 'The Battle of the Lys' takes place.  It is to become better known as This is later known as Flanders Fields.   During that time The Army decideds to reduce the number of battalions, in doing so the drop the 20th Battalion and move all its men move to the 3 remaining Pals Battalions on 9 April.    

1918 On 13 May The Pals from the Liverpool Battalions are sent to train the new American troops.
1918 By the 31 July The 19th is absorbed into the 14th Battalion of the Kings (Liverpool Regiment), after the 19th is effectively disbanded leaving 2 surviving Liverpool Pals Battalions. This new battalion are then amalgamated to form the 18th (Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry) - The Kings (Liverpool Regiment).
1918 The 17th Battalion leaves France and embarks for Russia on 10 October.
1918 On 8 November, with just days to the end of the War, The 18th Battalion looses 13 men in what was to be the Pals last engagement of the war, an attack against the German Army near Marbaux.
1918 The First World War, known at the time as the "Great War" comes to an end at 11 o'clock in the morning of the 11th day (Monday) of the 11th month (November).  By the end of the War, the total number of military and civilian casualties was over 37 million. It clamed over 16 million lives and left over 20 million wounded, thus making it one of the deadliest conflicts in human history.  
1918 The last of the 17th Battalion leave Russia for Liverpool. During the Great War and the campaign in Russia sadly 2,800 men from the Plas had died by the end of hostilities and many joined the millions who had been wounded.    
1919 Air Ministry approve of a landing site near the old Birkdale Palace hotel, only the 3rd licensed airfield in the Country.      
1919 The Hesketh's move back to Meols Hall after an absence of 200 years.  
1920 The newspaper Liverpool Weekly Courier and the Garston & Woolton Reporter both shut down.    
1920 Giro Aviation company sets up, offering flights and flying lessons to anyone who can pay for them.  Also that year, the newspaper Southport Guardian shuts down.    
1921 Prince's Park opened by the Prince of Wales.    
1921 After waning interest in the oyster project Mr Weld-Blundell tries again by bringing in another French oyster expert who soon closes the project down, for the waters of Ainsdale beach were just too cold for natural oyster cultivation.      
1921 Southport builds its 1st council houses on Haig Avenue.      
1922 The buffoonery and fairgrounds were finally allowed to stay in what is now Pleasureland during this year, although the founding fathers of the Town said they would never sully the fine beaches of Southport with the vulgarity that marred the Blackpool beaches.     
1922 Jack Holland opens his Chocolate Factory on Segars Lane.      
1922 Development of the Links Course starts at Royal Birkdale. The Royal Birkdale Golf Club sought to buy the course from Mr. Weld Blundell, but the asking price of 19,000 was considered to be too high. The then local Council, Southport Corporation, eventually became the new owners.  The Club feared that they would take over the course, but a 7 year plan was put into operation to prepare the course for Championship standard.    
1922 Sprint races started on Ainsdale beach by the younger members of the Southport Motor Racing Club.    
1923 Southport War Memorial consecrated, comments at the time said that it was:- "quite large for a provincial Town."    
1923 The last steamer sails from the Pier in Southport, this is due to the silting up of the channels into the Pier area.    
1924 Southport Flower Show starts in this year, and for many years claimed to be the largest summer flower show in the world.  
1924 Consecraton of High Altar, Chancel and Eastern Transepts of Liverpool Cathedral.  
1925 The Mersey Tunnel, Queensway Entrance, started    
1925 Southport's Lifeboat Station closed due to lack of use.      
1928 The 2 halves of the Mersey Tunnel meet, and in a unique ceremony to mark the occasion, the then Lord Mayor of Liverpool Miss Margaret Beavan shook hands with the, then Mayor of Birkenhead, Alderman Alec Naylor through a hole in the excavations.      
1928 West Derby Rural and Croxteth Park join Liverpool.    
1928 The new Open-Aired baths are opened in Southport.      
1928 Southport Corporation buys all of the Ainsdale and Birkdale foreshore, along with most of the dune land.    
1929 The Winter Gardens Opera House in Southport is destroyed by fire.      
1929 The Ainsdale public library is finally built, after some opposition from the Town Councillors.     
1929 The newspaper Southport Journal shuts down.  
        

The section is being updated constantly, so if you have any photographs, documents or any other information that helps us to develop this section, please contact us via email:- news24@southportreporter.com.

Colour key:-
NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL MERSEYSIDE
Icon Key:-   = Related Southport Reporter news report

We do our very best to keep this section up-to-date.  If you find any broken links please or links to external websites that are not appropriate, please let us know immediately. Thanks you...

Link to external website. Link to internal information page.