Mersey Reporter - Published by PBT Media Relations Ltd. & PCBT Photography

  Click on here to go to the Mersey Reporter Home Page

News Feed  Skype Email

   
News Events Web Radio Web TV     Bulletins

Advert Client Admin
Website Terms & Conditions
Click here to get seen in our 'Business Index' and also to get on our banner system oppersite and pay online today via 'Pay Pal'...! Advertisement Options

Merseyside History, Liverpool Anglican Cathedral

LIVERPOOL Cathedral dominates the skyline of Liverpool and can seen for miles around.   It's length is 189m that's 619 feet and covers 9,688 square metres (104,275 sq. ft.)  The tower is a massive 101m high (331 ft) with an under tower vault 53m (175 ft).   The tower holds the highest and heaviest peal in the world, all (31 tons) of it.   The Arches on the Tower are 33m wind and the largest of its type.   The Cathedral is the largest in Europe and the fifth largest in the world.

In 2004 the cathedral was home to a record barking firework display, that rocked the city and could bee seen over 80miles away.   The fireworks were to mark the cathedral's Centenary.  The history of this building, quoted as "One of the great buildings of the world." by John Bejeman started in 1901.  The idea of the building was to form the center piece to the recently formed Diocese of Liverpool.   Giles Gilbert Scot, then only 22 won a competition to be the architect.   By 1904 the site was ready for construction to start and the foundation stone was laid Lady Chapel was opened and used for worship.    

By 1924 work had progress as an amazing rate and the High Alter, Chancel and the Eastern Transepts were constructed.  This part formed the first section of what was to become the main Cathedral.  World War 1 was a turning point and Gilbert Scot  abandoned his plans for two towers and opted for one massive tower.   

By 1941 the second phase was commenced under the new tower.   During WWW2 (1939 to 1945) the work continued very slowly.  Miraculously the severe damage caused to most of the city due to enemy bombs never affected the Cathedral.  It escaped almost unscathed.  One bomb did actually penetrate into the roof space, but deflected and exploded on the street outside.  The only damage was on the riverside were the windows were smashed by explosions.  

1978 was the end of what was a long 74 years of construction.  Queen Elizabeth II attended the dedication of the West end of the Cathedral.  Now only the extra fittings and fixtures were to be added and are still being added to this day.

In 1984 marked the addition of the SPCK Book and Gift Shop designed by Keith Scott and opened with a restaurant that year.  

Photographs by Patrick Trollope.   Information with thanks to Liverpool Cathedral.

www.liverpoolcathedral.org.uk 

Mersey Reporter and Liverpool Reporter are Trade Marks of Patrick Trollope.