Merseyside & Liverpool City Region History 1830AD - 1869

Mersey Reporter - Local online historical news and information website for the Merseyside and Liverpool City Region.

  Sign up to get our FREE email news bulletins  

stats

   

 

The history of Merseyside and Liverpool City Region

Click on the date below to go to other lime line sections

History Section

 Home

  1503 to 1749   1830 to 1869   1900 to 1929   1960 to 2003
-8050 to 1490   1750 to 1829   1870 to 1899   1930 to 1959    
 

THIS page lists events and other information related to the time line from 1503AD to 1749AD. Some areas contain extra pages you can read with additional reference material on them. To access these pages, please see the extra information column of the table below.


Timeline
Events / Historic Developments
More material page or extra link
Area
1830 Opening of Liverpool and Manchester railway gives Liverpool superb communications with the rest of the country.   
1830 Perch Rock Lighthouse.The Perch Rock Lighthouse, was built on a dangerous rock formation, that the Lighthouse gets its name from. The rock is also known locally as Black Rock. Perch Rock gets its name from a tripod structure, known as a Perch. The structure was a beacon fire, that was used to mark the rock to shipping before lighthouses started to be used.  The lighthouse is a wave washed tower similar in design to John Smeaton's Eddystone lighthouse, standing 28.5 meter high.  The Lighthouse stands  just behind the historic Perch Rock Fort; a Napoleonic defence guarding the river Mersey's mouth. 
1832 A superior class of hotel, Bold Arms, opens on Lord Street in Southport.
1832 The newspaper called the Liverpool Standard, founded in this year.
1833 The newspaper Liverpool Saturday Advertiser shuts down.
1834 Fire Police established in Liverpool.
1835  In Southport, the sea wall was started to be constructed in order to make the promenade, following flooding of parts of the Town.   The idea was to help protect the town with the in sea defence as well as making viable building land nearer the beach.  The design also included a watering hole near the sea. 
1835  In the Southport area, Rev. Charles Hesketh was appointed as Rector of North Meols in this year. 
1835 In Liverpool, a new Custom House was opened.   (It was later to be destroyed in the bombing during the 2nd World War.) 
1835 Everton, Kirkdale, part of West Derby and some of Toxteth Park become part of Liverpool.
1835 Municipal Reforms Act, this revises the Local Government and how it's run.  
1836 The rest of West Derby, Toxteth, Walton and Wavertree all join Liverpool.   
1836 Liverpool Borough Council set up its own Police Force. (09/02/1836)
1837 The newspaper Liverpool Mail founded.
1837 Queen Victoria is Crowned.  
1839 Lancashire Constabulary formed in responsible for policing all parts of the county.  This was all the county except for Liverpool and Manchester.  (18/12/1837)  
1839 The newspaper Liverpool Weekly Mercury founded.
1840 The Royal Victoria Baths constructed in Southport on the new promenade.
1840 Cunard starts its fortnightly service to New York with the steamship Britannia, closely followed by Blue Funnel and White Star lines. Liverpool Dock Trust puts lifeboat in charge of the Harbour Master.
1840 James Maury was the first United States Consul in Liverpool and moves out of his home, at 4 Rodney Street, Liverpool, in this year.
1840 With concerns over the rising shipping in the area Southport's starts its own sea rescue service, and has built a boat called:- "The Rescue," this is before the RNLI is set up.
1841 Queen Victoria marries Prince Albert.  
1841 Claremont House opened to the public in Liverpool.  
1842 A survey of South-Port says there are 1271 houses in the hamlet with a population of 7774. Peter Hesketh Fleetwood earns £214 per annum in rental from 14 acres of land in the area. The census also pointed out that 87.8% of the population of Southport attended church on the census day. 30 years later the result was almost the same.  The census returns for this year says there are 176 residents living in 30 houses, with 3 houses unoccupied. 22 of those occupied houses were farms, and not counting the smith and the miller the rest were agricultural labourers.
1842 In Liverpool the continued influx of impoverished families resulted in horrific epidemics regularly sweeping through the town's slums erected around the town centre.  Report on Liverpool's Sanitation concluded "More filth, worse physical suffering and moral disorder than Howard describes as affecting the prisons, are to be found among the cellar population of the working people of Liverpool." 
1843 Victoria Hotel, a very prestigious hotel opened.
1843 British illustrator John Callcott Horsley invents the first Christmas card after being commissioned by Sir Henry Cole.
1844 Birkenhead Borough Police was formed.
1845 The newspaper Southport Visiter founded.
1845 Ainsdale is a total size of 1300 acres.
1846 In Southport, Little Ireland well established by this point, a den of drinking and fighting, with only 5 privies serving the 100 or so people who lived here. Assaults and serious wounding were the norm for this area. Mrs. Hesketh choose to cleanse the area by evicting the tenants, but this proved to be a turbulent chore, but accomplished in the end. 
1847 Prince Consort Albert visits Liverpool and opens the Albert Dock complex.  Herman Melville, the author of Moby Dick, visits the Albert Dock and compared the miles of docks with the Great Wall of China and the Pyramids of Egypt. The docks were so unprecedented that they were termed the "Modern wonder of the world." 1846. Southport set up as a separate entity by an act of parliament, now has town status.
1848  In Liverpool, over 300,000 Irish poor landed in the port escaping famine. Outbrakes of Cholera results in the Liverpool Corporation appointing Dr Duncan to be the first Medical Officer of Health in the country.  The influx of immigrants was identified by Dr Duncan to be the course of the major  outbreaks of typhus fever. In this year over 21,000 people died, that was one in fifteen of Liverpool's population. 
1848 In the Southport area a survey of schools reports that there are 21 of them in the area now, an increase of 15 from a similar survey in 1826.
1848 William Rockloiffe becomes the coxswain on the Southport Rescue boat.
1849 The 1st railway line into Southport opens in this year, with the terminal located on what is now Portland Street.
1851 Mass burials were regular occurrences with 572 deaths notified in one week of August that year.
1852 Census of Southport during this year shows that of the 727 buildings in the area 85 were lodging houses whilst further visitors were accommodated in the 5 hotels and inns.  The census returns of this year confirm Ainsdale is still a agricultural community, with a population of only 176, of the 36 homes only 18 are farms whilst the rest belong to agricultural labourers.
1853 Sand Yachts re-introduced to Southport beaches, after being banned for several years due to a collision with a bathing machine.
1853 Nathaniel Hawthorne becomes the Consul for the United States of America, at the Liverpool - Paradise Street Consulate.
1855 Northern Daily Times founded.
1855 During Whit week 40,000 people descended on Southport to enjoy the sun and the beach. The Lancashire - Yorkshire Railway opens in this year and has its terminal on Chapel Street.  Ormskirk Advertiser founded.
1856 Liverpool Daily Post and Liverpool Herald founded.
1857 Liverpool Times & Billinge's Advertiser and Liverpool Standard shut down.
1857 The last recorded Flying Dutchman Ride was in Southport this year.
1857 Nathaniel Hawthorne leaves the post of the United States of America's Notable Consul, from the at the Liverpool - Paradise Street Consulate.
1858 Cheshire Constabulary was formed.  
1860 The toll-fee for walking along the Southport Promenade is abolished when the Improvement Council took over the maintenance of the sea-wall and Promenade area.  
1860 Southport resident, Sir Charles Scarisbrick dies, being one of the wealthiest commoners in Lancashire.  
1860 The newspaper Southport Pier opened.
1860 RNLI takes over the running of the Southport Lifeboat Station.
The Southport Rescue Lifeboat was taken out of service.  The boat had saved some 173 lives and a great many boats. 
1860 The Rectory in Southport was re-named the Rookery.
1860 Altcar Rifle Range Estate established in High Town, on the banks of the River Alt and the beach near Formby Point.
1860 Croxteth Halls East and South wings added.   
1860 The newspaper called the Seaside Tattler was founded.
1860 First street railway in Britain started in Birkenhead. The route it travelled was from the ferry terminal in Woodside to Birkenhead Park. 
1861 in the Liverpool area, it is recorded that 12,900 infant deaths, with 6,500 children under 5 years of age happened in this year.  
1861 Thomas Haines Dudley becomes the Consul for the United States of America, at the Liverpool - Paradise Street Consulate.
1861 The Widnes-Runcorn Railway Bridge is opened.  
1861 The newspaper Northern Daily Times shuts down.
1861 The Jessie Knowles, the replacement for the Southport Rescue Lifeboat is launched.  
1861 The newspaper Southport Independent founded.
1864 In Liverpool the City Engineer's report listed 18,500 unsanitary houses and over 3,000 congested courts. The populations demand for cheap accommodation, and sanitary conditions were thwarted by the increasing population.
1865 Liverpool has 4.7 million tons passing through the port.
1865 Rev. Charles Hesketh donates 30 acres of land to Southport for a public park, with the following conditions, build a wall around the park with four impressive gates, full maintenance and build a road around the outside of the park and connect the road with the rest of the towns sewer system. And so was created Hesketh park a high class residential area of Southport.  
1865 Southport grows and expands and absorbs Blowick and High Park.
1866 The newspaper Liverpool Herald shuts down.
1866 The Palace Hotel in Birkdale opens.
1867 The newspaper Liverpool Weekly Courier founded.
1867 Southport is incorporated into a borough in this year. Also in this year the Council had built the Cambridge Hall next to the Town Hall, which provided the ideal location for meetings and entertainment. 40% of the 3000 houses in Southport were private schools looking for day-pupils.
1868 In Southport, the Pier extended making it 1470 yards long and able to accommodate steamers which connected the town with Barrow and Angelsey.
1868 The newspaper Liverpool Commercial Chronicle shuts down.
1868 The Runcorn to Widnes railway bridge was officially opened on 21 May 1868 and open for railway traffic on 10 October the same year.  
1869 The newspaper Liverpool Weekly Courier shuts down.
1869 In Southport area, The Wesleyans church is built in Ainsdale, on land donated by Thomas Weld Blundell.

The section is being updated constantly, so if you have any photographs, documents or any other information that helps us to develop this section, please contact us via email:- News24@MerseyReporter.Com.

Icon Key:-
Link to external website. Link to internal information page.
Colour key:-
NATIONAL & INTERNATIONAL MERSEYSIDE

 

We do our very best to keep this section up-to-date.  If you find any broken links please or links to external websites that are not appropriate, please let us know immediately. Thanks you...

  Find out whats on in and around Merseyside!

This is just 1 of the events on our event calendar, click on here to see lots more!

 
       
 
This online newspaper and information service is regulated by IMPRESS, the independent monitor for the UK's press.

This online newspaper and information service is regulated by IMPRESS the independent monitor for the UK's press.

This is our process:- Complaints Policy - Complaints Procedure - Whistle Blowing Policy

Contact us:-

(+44)
  08463 244 195

Calls will cost 7p per minute, plus your telephone company's access charge.
Calls to this number may be recorded for security, broadcast, training and record keeping.

Click on to see our Twitter Feed.   Click on to see our Facebook Page.   Click on to follow our LinkedIn Profile.   This website is licence to carry news from Vamphire.com and UK Press Photography.

 
     
 

See the view live webcamera images of the road outside our studio/newsroom in the hart of Southport.

An Image from our Southport Webcam above. To see it live, please click on image.

Click on to find out why the moon changes phases. 
This is the current phase of the moon. For more lunar related information, please click on here.

 
Southport and Mersey Reporter, 4a Post Office Ave, Southport, Merseyside, PR9 0US, UK.

Tracking & Cookie Usage Policy - Terms & Conditions

 

- Southport Reporter® is the Registered Trade Mark of Patrick Trollope.